Winter Bonfire-Michael Starratt

Individuals within the Municipality of Sioux Lookout are required to purchase a Fire Permit for all Open Air Burning and Incinerators.  

Cost: $10.00 each

Duration: April 1st through March 31st of the following year. 

Purchase Your Permit

Permits can be purchased at the following locations: 

Municipal Office - Finance Department
25 Fifth Avenue - 9:00am to 4:00pm


  • Fire Permits are required to burn brush and grass. 
  • Between April 1st and October 31st, burning is permitted between two hours before dusk through two hours after sunrise. 
  • Between November 1st and March 31st, burning is also permitted during daylight hours.  Additional regulations apply. 
  • Fire Permits are required for all Outdoor Incinerators; materials to be burned are limited to wood or wood by-products. Additional regulations apply. 
  • Individuals who do not possess a fire permit will be subject to a fine as set out in By-Law No. 11-04

Frequently Asked Questions

Where can I purchase a Fire Permit
Fire Permits are purchased at the Finance Department at the Municipal Office between 10:00 a.m. - 3:00 p.m.
How much are Fire Permits?
The Fire Permit is $10.00 for brush/grass and $10 for an incinerator, or $20 for both.  The Fire Permit is valid from April 1st to March 31st of the following year.
When can I burn?
Providing you have a Fire Permit, you can burn from April 1st to October 31st. The fire may be started 2 hours before sunset, and it must be out 2 hours after sunrise. From November 1st to March 31st daytime burning is allowed.
I am a renter/tenant, can I purchase a Fire Permit?
You must have written permission from the landlord or property owner to purchase a Fire Permit.  You will be required to provide the signed permission letter to the Municipality prior to purchase.
Do I need a Fire Permit from November 1st to March 31st?
Yes. A Fire Permit is required throughout the year, however, during this time period you are allowed to burn during the daytime and follow any municipal or provincial fire bans.
Can I have a fire pit in my back yard and, if so, do I need a Fire Permit to use it?
Yes. You can have a fire pit in your back yard. And No, you do not need a Fire Permit providing you only use cut up wood and you use it for cooking or warmth.  The size of the fire is limited to 1 metre in diameter and 1 metre in height.
Can I have an incinerator/outdoor burning barrel in my yard and, if so, do I need a Fire Permit to use it?
Yes. You can have an incinerator/outdoor burning barrel in your yard and a Fire Permit is required and the cost is $10.00. The regulations governing Fire Permits and the use of an incinerator/outdoor burning barrel must be followed.

Should you have any further questions or concerns, please contact the Emergency Services Department at 737-2700 ext 7700.