Browser Compatibility Notification
It appears you are trying to access this site using an outdated browser. As a result, parts of the site may not function properly for you. We recommend updating your browser to its most recent version at your earliest convenience.
Skip navigation
Social Media
Facebook Icon
YouTube Icon
Twitter Icon
    Print Icon  

Water and Wastewater FAQs

Umfreville Park

Why are my water bills so high?

  • Do you have any fixtures or taps leaking inside your house?
  • Do you know where your water meter is located in your house?  If you do, one way to check for leaks is:  ensure no one is using water in the house; go to your water meter, if it is a new one, there will be a "red triangle" on the face of the meter,  if it is moving and no one in the house is using the water, you have a leak.
  • Toilets are the most likely item to be causing the high water consumption. One way to test a toilet is to drop some food coloring into the toilet tank.  If the water inside the bowl changes color over a period of 15 to 30 minutes, the toilet is by-passing (leaking).  This needs to be corrected by calling a plumber.
  • Has there been an increase in the number of people in the house?  More people means higher water consumption.
  • Is the outside tap shut off?  Spray nozzles leak.  Watering lawns and gardens during the day uses a lot of water, try watering in the early morning or late evening.


My water is frozen-what do I do?

If you are connected to the Municipal Water System, call the Public Works Division, at 737-1234.


What do I do if my sewer backs up?

Municipal sewer and water is a user pay system, therefore if the sewer problem is on property owned by you, you will be charged. If the problem affecting your sewer is on municipal property, you won't be charged. Work orders are subject to all charges and if staff is called out or stays after regular working hours (5:00 p.m), overtime rates apply.

Is it backing up when you use any water? ie: Toilets, bathtub, kitchen sink, bathroom sink and washing machine?  If it only backs up while using the washing machine for example, it's probably an internal problem which needs to be looked at by a plumber.  If a Municipal employee is dispatched to check an internal problem, there is a service charge involved.  Please call 737-1234 for further information.

Someone has to be home before we will go into the house to do work on a sewer line.  The homeowner is responsible for this.


Is there a cost for cleaning out sewer lines?

Yes, staff time and equipment.  After hours calls are subject to over time rates.


Do you pump out septic tanks?

No, there are private companies that perform this service.


Do you install sewer and water systems?

Yes- the Municipality installs new sewer and water service lines form the property line to the main within urban Sioux Lookout and water in Hudson.  Call Public Works 737-1234 for specific information.


How do I have my water turned on or off?

Call Public Works at 737-1234.  The cost is $50 each. ($100.00 off/on)


How do I have a water meter installed or repaired?

Call Public Works at 737-1234 and arrangements will be made with you for the installation or repair.

© 2021 Municipality of Sioux Lookout