Browser Compatibility Notification
It appears you are trying to access this site using an outdated browser. As a result, parts of the site may not function properly for you. We recommend updating your browser to its most recent version at your earliest convenience.
Skip navigation
Social Media
Facebook Icon
YouTube Icon
Twitter Icon
    Print Icon  

Special Events

If you are planning a special event in Sioux Lookout, you may need a licence or permit to make sure the activities at your event follow our By-laws and provincial regulations.

Some Special Events are exempt from Zoning By-law requirements and are eligible to provide food vendor and refreshment cart services.  By-law No. 56-09 lists the Special Events that are exempt.  For all other Special Events, please contact the Planning Administrator

Here is a checklist of common applications, licences and permits you need to have a safe and community-friendly special event.

1. Are you serving food?

If you will serve food at your event, you must submit a Special Occasion Food Permit/ Notification form to the Northwestern Health Unit at least 7 days before the event. You can get this form on the Northwestern Health Unit website.

Temporary Food Premises must be approved by a Public Health Inspector before they start operating.

2. Are you serving alcohol?

If you plan to sell or serve alcoholic drinks at your special event whether it’s a wedding, charity fundraiser or reception, you need a Special Occasion Permit (SOP) from the Liquor Control Board of Ontario (LCBO).

Determine whether you need an SOP and the rules your event must follow by reviewing the Alcohol and Gaming Commission of Ontario SOP information and the LCBO SOP FAQs. You can get an application from any LCBO store or download the SOP application form online. Take the completed application form to an LCBO store in the municipality where the event will take place.

3. Will your event cause a temporary road closure?

If your event will cause a temporary road closure (e.g. a farmers' market on the street) you must submit an application to our Public Works Division. Application instructions are included on our Temporary Road Closures page.

4. Do you need to rent a facility or space?

Municipal spaces including our Centennial Centre, Heritage Railway Station, Town Beach and others are available for rent for public and private events.

Contact our Parks and Recreation Department to book a space for an event.

© 2021 Municipality of Sioux Lookout