Browser Compatibility Notification
It appears you are trying to access this site using an outdated browser. As a result, parts of the site may not function properly for you. We recommend updating your browser to its most recent version at your earliest convenience.
Skip navigation
Social Media
Facebook Icon
YouTube Icon
Twitter Icon
    Print Icon  

Marriage Licences

The Municipality is an Issuer of Marriage Licenses. Ontario Marriage Licenses are valid for a marriage that takes place anywhere in Ontario. Couples seeking an Ontario Marriage License must complete an Application Form for an Ontario Marriage License. Application Forms are available at the Clerk's Department or at the Customer Service Desk in the Municipal Office, 25 Fifth Avenue, Sioux Lookout (807-737-2700). Applications may also be printed online from "Service Ontario".

The Application Form must be completed and signed by both applicants. The Issuer will require proof of identification of both parties. A Birth Certificate (along with any change of name certificate) or a Passport plus a second piece of government issued photo identification such as a valid Driver's License, valid Ontario Photo Card or Status Card must be presented (if only one party is applying him/she must bring proof of identification for the other party). Photocopies cannot be accepted.

If either applicant has been previously married an original or court certified copy of the Decree Absolute or Certificate of Divorce must be also be presented at this time.

The Marriage License fee is $125.00 and is payable prior to processing the License.

The Marriage License can be prepared within three business days. The License will expire three months after the date of issue if the marriage does not take place.

Marriage Requirements

In some cases, special requirements must be met before a marriage can take place in the Province of Ontario. The following chart outlines the se types of requirements as they apply:

Who May Apply


Age 18 or over

No requirements

Age 16 or under

Cannot marry

Age 16 or 17 (other than widow, widower or divorced) person

May marry with the written consent of his/her guardian

(special consent form available at Clerk's Office)

Same-sex couples

No requirements


No requirements

Dissolved or annulled marriage in Canada

An original or court certified copy of the final decree, judgment or certificate of divorce dissolving or annulling the marriage (certified by the proper court officer) in the granting jurisdiction.

Dissolved or annulled marriage outside of Canada

Authorization from the Minister of Government and Consumer Services is required. To obtain this authorization, the applicants must submit the following to The Office of the Registrar General, P.O. Box 4600, 189 Red River Road, Thunder Bay, P7B 9Z9 :

  1. A complete Marriage Application signed by both parties
  2. An original or copy of the decree or annulment (certified by the proper court officer in the granting jurisdiction). A certified translation must be included if the decree is in a language other than English.
  3. A Statement of Sole Responsibility for each divorce signed by both applicants. Affidavits are available from the local Issuer of Marriage Licenses.
  4. A legal opinion from a lawyer, addressed to both applicants, with reasons why the divorce or annulment should be recognized in the Province of Ontario.

Marriage Certificates

A "Request for a Marriage Certificate" form must be filled out and sent to the Office of the Registrar General in Thunder Bay with the appropriate fee. Forms are available at the Clerk's Office or online at

© 2021 Municipality of Sioux Lookout