Browser Compatibility Notification
It appears you are trying to access this site using an outdated browser. As a result, parts of the site may not function properly for you. We recommend updating your browser to its most recent version at your earliest convenience.
Skip navigation
Social Media
Facebook Icon
YouTube Icon
Twitter Icon
    Print Icon  

Business Licencing

You do not need a municipal business licence if your business is located within Sioux Lookout's boundaries and you pay taxes to the municipality.

Depending on what your business does, you may need to get another permit or licence or make sure you follow our Municipal By-laws.

Some Special Events are exempt from Zoning By-law requirements and are eligible to provide food vendor and refreshment cart services.  By-law No. 56-09 lists the Special Events that are exempt.  For all other Special Events, please contact the Planning Administrator

Municipal permits and bylaws

Here are some common business activities and the permits, licences and By-laws you need to know about if you do them:

Business Activity

Permit, Licence or Bylaw

Burning of combustible materials

Burn Permit

Care of animals

Animal Control Regulations

Taxi services

Taxi Business Licence

New construction, renovations or plumbing projects

Building Permit, Rezoning and Official Plan Amendment Applications, Minor Variances

Provincial business registration and licences

Contact the provincial government's Ministry of Government Services Companies Branch to register your business name, incorporate your businesses or not-for-profits or to create a limited partnership:

Ministry of Government Services
Companies and Personal Property Securities Branch
Suite 200, 393 University Avenue
Toronto, ON  M5G 2M2

General Inquiries: 1-416-314-8880 / Toll Free: 1-800-361-3223

Service Ontario Online Business Registration

To register or renew your business name with the provincial government, get a Master Business Licence, complete applications for Employer Health Tax, Health Tax for the Self-Employed and Workplace Safety and Insurance Board and to apply for a Federal Business Number, visit our local Service Ontario Office:

Sioux Lookout ServiceOntario Centre

62 Queen Street
Sioux Lookout, ON  P8T 1A2

General Inquiries: 1-800-267-8097

Hours: Monday to Friday, 8:30 a.m. - 5:00 p.m.

Tourism and food service business licences

You may need to get additional licenses from the province if your business is a tourist establishment or prepares and/or serves food.

More information on Tourist Establishment Licences:

Ministry of Northern Development and Mines

Regional Economic Development Branch
Frank Bastone, Northern Development Advisor
810 Robertson St., Suite 104
Kenora, ON  P9N 4J2

Phone: 1-807-468-2820

More information on Food Premise Licences:

Public Health Inspector
Northwestern Health Unit
75-D Van Horne Avenue
Dryden, ON  P8N 2B2

Phone: 1-807-223-3301

© 2021 Municipality of Sioux Lookout